Thursday 7 July 2011

On being misunderstood

I was thinking just now about how, even after all this time of working on myself, small things still manage to wind me up and frustrate me. Things like having to explain the same thing in several different ways to someone and not because it's complicated, but because they are not really listening.

Sometimes I wonder if I am speaking a different language or something. You know the men are from Mars, the Women from Venus kind of thing. (A little voice in my ear has just said that I am. Great!)What if that was true? What if I had carried back from my travels a new language, one that no-one recognised or understood? No-one living in the same house as me that is, I am sure complete strangers would understand me, just not family! Somedays this is exactly how it feels.

This all got me thinking about how easily we misunderstand each other. How often we assume we know what someone has said only to later find they had said something completely different. Or we assume that someone has understood us with disastrous or potentially disastrous consequences, or even little annoying ones.

One of the things my guides are working with me on is the ability (or lack of it) to completely focus on one thing at a time, one thing and one thing only. A strange thing to have to do after years of multi-tasking but I am beginning to see why being able to focus is important.

My guides tell me it is important to focus on one thing at a time because then they can help us more effectively. When we are scattered or doing one thing whilst we think of something else it can be hard to hear them, hard for them to get through to us. I think this applies to much in our lives.

If we actually stopped and gave each other, especially those in our families, our undivided attention, focusing completely on them and what they were saying, then maybe the language barrier would break down and we would find ourselves able to understand each other completely. Worth a try anyway.

1 comment:

  1. Oh how true, everything you have said sounds so completely familiar.

    When I gave riding lessons, eons ago, I had the students attention fully, now, I'm lucky if anyone hears a third of what I say. It is so disheartening.

    Your guides have given you sound advice, I shall pay attention to it as well!

    My guides are laughing right now, and say Thank you to your guides! LOL :)

    ReplyDelete